Bruce Katlin Creates And The Running Artist

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Killer Disease & The Disney Marathon


Meet Jarrett and Quinn Margus, sons of Brad and Vicki. Jarrett and Quinn both have the killer disease Ataxia-telangiectasia or "A-T". Sound scary? It is.

A cure as yet to be discovered and currently there is no way to slow the diesase's progression. A-T is persistent and focused on in its attack of children. Only a fortunate few will avoid developing cancer. A-T patients usually die from respiratory failure or cancer by their teens or early twenties.

I hadn't heard of A-T until last month when my wife's ex-boss at Rockefeller University told her that a friend, Brad Margus and wife Vicki, founders of the A-T Children's Project had organized a fund raising effort in conjunction with the Walt Disney A-T Cure Tour. She new that I was a runner and quickly asked if I'd be interested in running the 2009 Disney Marathon to help raise funds and awareness. After reading about A-T how could I possibly say no?

My goal is to raise $4000 one month prior to the 6 a.m. January 11, 2009 start time of the Marathon. With a lot of help and generosity $3240 has been donated to date so, I'm very close to the $4000 goal. If you are able, please help the
A-T Children's Project research efforts in fighting this devastating children's disease by contributing on my personal A-T home page.

Thank you in advance for your support.

No comments: