Bruce Katlin Creates And The Running Artist

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Art-ercise

Combing two of my passions art and exercise, I am embarking on a new project entitled, Artercise. Both disciplines provide a lot of peace, joy and positive energy, so why not combine them? 

There are countless research papers that tout the benefits of exercise on the brain that include enhanced learning, innovation and creativity. But I don't need a Ph.D to tell me how exercise affects the central dopaminergic, noradrenergic and serotonergic systems after exercise. Ideas don't always come to me during physical exercise but usually after a run or a long bike ride they start to flow with beautiful and exciting waves of color and energy. Take for example, my Sunday high intensity workouts that combines a twenty mile bike ride with kettlebells, cross-fit and martial arts. This combination not only makes me feel good and builds confidence but it also has provided some of my most focused (without thinking or "without mind") and prosperous art work.

I'm in the process of creating the mechanics and process of creating art while running and have all sorts of ideas. One includes something like the contraption that one of Paul Newman's movie characters devised where mechanical robots with tentacle like arms take direction from music that is played. The machines paint wild abstract shapes throwing paint on large canvases until they work themselves into a tizzy. Stay tuned....
  

No comments: